What is Clutter in Your Home?
5 Guidelines to Help You Decide
When getting rid of clutter you have to identify which items are truly clutter, and which are not. Clutter can be almost anything, from the most obvious trash to the most expensive antiques. Furthermore, the same object that may be clutter for one person is certainly not for another, so how do you decide? Below are five guidelines you can use to decide if something could be clutter.
1. Clutter Can Be Anything – Cheap, Expensive, Sentimental or a Throw-Away. Trash is always clutter, but that’s the only hard and fast rule for identifying clutter. When you look critically at items in your home, don’t overlook something just because it cost a lot of money. Even the most expensive things can be clutter.
2. Too Many Items of a Particular Type Can be Clutter. Having many particular items, such as shoes, clothes or kitchen gadgets, are a good thing since you have choices, variety and appropriate things for multiple occasions. However, when you start accumulating too many items, what used to be a nice selection to choose from becomes an overwhelming pile of clutter.
3. Items that used to be Functional, May Turn Into Clutter. We use an item for quite awhile, and then our circumstances change and it is no longer useful. That’s when an item begins to collect dust in a corner – becoming clutter.
4. If You Don’t Have Any Room for It in Your Home, It’s Clutter. You could have some really awesome stuff but if it doesn’t fit in your home in the storage or living space you have available, it’s clutter. Sometimes tough choices need to be made because you only have so much space available, and if you can’t make room for it in your home, it unfortunately just doesn’t belong there.
5. If You Don’t Love It or Use It, It’s Clutter. This sums up all the other rules and guidelines above. You have to be ever vigilant in your home when you’re a clutter buster. Every time you pick up an item, you have to decide if it’s clutter or not. Using these guidelines will go a long way in allowing you to have a more clutter-free home.